Sunday, April 10, 2011

Doily Lamp

It's so Grandma- but so cute (and easy). This DIY Doily-Lace Lamp was inspired by the beautiful pendant lamp found at reMade USA... except this one costs you the price of a balloon, wallpaper glue & doilies...


First we used a huge balloon that I bought at a party store.
Then you collect all the old Doilies, crochet or lace small tablecloths.
I found mine at a flea market.
Paint them with lots of wallpaper glue so they are soaked.
Hang the balloon on a string and put the soaked lace on the balloon. They have to overlap each other so they will stick together and connect.
I always put on one other coat of extra glue when they are all on the balloon.
Just to be sure.
Then wait for a while. Maybe a whole night.
Pop the balloon when the glue is dry. And attach a nice looking cord and lamp fitting.
Voila a new lamp!

Update:
Some of you asked how to get the bulb into the shade. I simply cut open a little tear on top.
Later I am going to sew the tear nicely so you won’t even notice it and also connect it to the cord. But I want a big round bulb first and I havn’t found one yet in this little village I am in.
Someone also asked about fire safety. Well, I think if you make the ball large enough that it won’t come close to the bulb it’s ok.
It’s also possible to use a energy saving lamp – they are almost cold. Also the “shade” breaths a lot so it is not going to be to hot.

I bought a nice looking iron wire in pink but when I opened the box it was red. It will do for now. But I want the pink one later.

No comments:

Post a Comment